Advocacy Centre North is part of Newcastle Council For Voluntary Service

Our community services

This website is no longer in use. Advocacy Centre North is now called Connected Voice Advocacy (part of the Connected Voice group). Please click here to go to the Advocacy section on our new website.

Our community services

Advocacy Centre North provides a range of Independent Advocacy services for adults in the community in vulnerable circumstances and marginalised communities.

Health and Care Advocacy: 

Supports adults in Newcastle and Gateshead who need support with health and social care issues.

 Do you need support to:

  • speak up for yourself
  • find out about your rights
  • make decisions and choices
  • get services or support 

Do you and belong to one or more of the following groups:

  • Black Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) community
  • Mental health needs
  • Learning Disabilities
  • Physical Disabilities
  • Over 55 years old
  • Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and/or Transgender 

If so, we can support you to:

  • understand your rights
  • find information
  • have your views and wishes heard
  • get the health and social care services you need
  • deal with letters and phone calls
  • prepare for meetings
  • keep safe from abuse

Families Through Crisis Advocacy:

Provides support to families in crisis in Newcastle


Hate Crime Advocacy: 

Supports people across Northumberland, Tyne and Wear who have experienced or are at risk of hate crime. Find out more here.

We provide specialist advocacy support to anyone who has been targeted because of your:

  • Race
  • Religion
  • Disability (including mental health)
  • Gender/transgender identity
  • Sexual orientation

Hate crimes can include:

  • Verbal abuse
  • Harassment
  • Physical attacks such as hitting, punching, pushing or spitting
  • Threats of violence
  • Hoax calls, abusive phone or text messages, or hate mail
  • Online abuse, for example on Facebook or Twitter
  • Displaying or circulating discriminatory literature or posters
  • Damage to things such as your home, pet or vehicle
  • Graffiti
  • Arson

The service is open to you if you:

  • Are aged 16 years or over
  • Are based in Newcastle, Gateshead, Sunderland, North Tyneside, South Tyneside or Northumberland
  • Have experienced or are affected by hate crime

We can help you by:

  • Listening to you and understanding what you are going through

  • Helping you to get information about your rights and options

  • Supporting you to report hate crimes - if you want to

  • Giving you a voice and helping you to deal with others (e.g. the police, housing, medical services etc.

  • Taking your side

  • Help you understand the criminal justice process

  • Help you get the services or support you need

Neurological Advocacy:

A specialist service for adults with neurological conditions in Newcastle and Gateshead. Find out more here. Due to changes in funding, we are not accepting new referrals for this service at the moment.

Read our Independent Service User Led Participatory Evaluation report from our three year Neurological Advocacy Service here and watch our video below:

Fighting for Your Rights: watch this great film made by service users about our Neurological Advocacy Service

Welfare Advocacy:

Supports adults in Newcastle and Gateshead who are in crisis, around poverty and benefits, helping them develop skills to navigate the system. The availability of this service depends on funding.

To make a referral or to find our more

To make a referral to any of our community services, either for yourself or someone else, please fill in a referral form here, email or phone us using our contact details.


Individually funded services: 

We also provide all types of advocacy on an individually funded basis. Contact us if you would like to discuss a referral here.


Our statutory services in Gateshead:

Advocacy Centre North currently provides statutory services for people in the Gateshead Council area.

  • Independent Mental Health Act Advocate (IMHA)  
  • Independent Mental Capacity Advocate (IMCA) 
  • Independent Care Act Advocate (ICAA) 
  • Relevant Person’s Representative (RPR)

To find out more go to our statutory services here.